Owosso, MI 48867
Salary: $27,000.00 to $32,000.00 /year
The DayStarr Construction Crew position is responsible for expanding and maintaining DayStarr’s fiber optic network underground.
- Install new or replacement fiber optic cable by directional drill or hand digging.
- Perform construction work such as digging holes, placing ground vaults, laying conduit/cable in the ground.
- Inspect, remove and replace damaged underground facilities.
- Responsible for the correct, safe and efficient locating/exposing of underground facilities.
- Complete and supply necessary documentation for daily reporting.
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches or string it through conduits running through trenches.
- Move, lift, or pull weights of 100 pounds or more to operate power equipment such as compressors, pumps, blowers, winches and hydraulic equipment such as aerial lifts (buckets), diggers, directional bore rigs, and trenchers. Must be able to lift or move manhole covers or similar items.
- Prepare and participate in meetings as needed.
- Monitor and manage MISS DIG tickets.
- Maintain equipment and vehicles as needed.
- Communicate with customers and other employees to help maintain code and to communicate job status and issues surrounding daily activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the above essential duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or work style required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Customer and Personal Service- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Telecommunications- Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Active Listening- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving- Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance- Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Judgment and Decision Making- Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one. Applying common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Mathematical Application- Applying mathematical concepts such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; as well as computing rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Operation and Control- Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring- Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Reading Comprehension- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking- Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management- Managing one’s own time and respecting the time of others.
- Troubleshooting- Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Achievement/Effort— Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward.
- Adaptability/Flexibility— Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Analytical Thinking— Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Attention to Detail— Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Concern for Others— Job requires being sensitive to others’ needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
- Cooperation— Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Dependability— Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Determination- Job requires persistence in the face of obstacles.
- Independence— Job requires developing one’s own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
- Initiative— Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Integrity— Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Motivation- Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
- Problem Solving- Job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems.
- Self Control— Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Stress Tolerance— Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 100 pounds and occasionally over 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
This job requires the effective use of a variety of tools and technology including:
- Cable reels- cable trees; motorized cable reels
- Shears- cable slitters; duct knives
- Signal generators- tone generators; tone sets; tone tracers
- Stripping tools- buffer strippers; cable jacket strippers; cable strippers; sheath removal tools
- Trenching machines- cable plows; trenchers
- Customer relationship management CRM software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software- workforce management system software
- Internet browser software- internet web browser software
- Office suite software- Microsoft Office software
- Transaction security and virus protection software- ping tools
- Power tools- hammer drill, gas drill, chainsaw, circular saw, etc.
- Underground cable locator
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 2+ year prior work-related experience.
- Training in basic outside plant engineering and practices.
- Knowledge of terms used in OSP work.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a reliable means of transportation.
- Must pass a background check, drug test, and motor vehicle check.
- Employee will need to work outdoors while on duty, in all weather conditions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the job. The Company reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete, and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities, and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of its business. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either the employee or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Our Company is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. The Company also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also the Company’s policy to comply with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.
Go to all jobs